DAVAO CITY- Amid news of the CHR’s decision on the illegal arrest and torture of 43 health workers in Morong, Rizal from four years ago, a human rights group says that the mastermind of such inhumane action is now involved in yet another massive rights violation.
Hanimay Suazo, secretary-general of Karapatan-SMR, said that now Lt.Gen. Aurelio Baladad, chief of the Eastern Mindanao Command, oversaw the ordeal of the Morong 43, and is now terrorizing the area of eastern Mindanao.
Suazo said that Baladad’s tactics are long known, and has repeated itself again in this week’s Paquibato massacre.
“The Morong 43 were falsely accused as members of the NPA. Likewise, the three civilian casualties in the Paquibato Massacre have also been labeled as members of this armed group. The pattern is the same, and it is condemnable that Aurelio Baladad continues to terrorize people by randomly picking them and presenting them as NPA’s” Suazo said.
Suazo lamented that Baladad had been promoted, despite his record of human rights violations.
“This is what Aquino’s Oplan Bayanihan means: human rights violators are awarded for their atrocities, thus resulting to this recent massacre in Paquibato.”
Suazo voiced out that similar to the case of the Morong 43, the Paquibato 3 would most likely be decided by the CHR as victims of military atrocities, in a time that may be too late.
“The decision of the CHR about them (Morong 43) comes too late. It could be the same case for the Paquibato 3, unless the CHR manages to work itself efficiently out.” Karapatan-SMR is due to conduct a fact-finding mission in Brgy. Paradise Embac, scene of the Paquibato Massacre, this June 20. ###